Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Incredible Not Just Edible Egg

I love eggs, but we don’t raise chickens, so once a month I take the trek out to the egg farm. The drive’s not bad because I know when I get up the next morning I will have a refrigerator full of eggs, just waiting for me. (well, ok, those that didn’t get cooked when I got home, anyway) Oh and I get some alone time! Double bonus, whoo hoo.

Thanks to those who raise chickens and here’s a shout out to Featherland Egg Farms to say thanks for not including steroids and growth hormones in their feed.  

In celebration of the eggs, I thought that today I would share my Mama's Egg Facials.

Having been raised in the country, I grew up not being able to run into town when I didn't have what I wanted. My mother taught us how to make due. Turns out, these things are wonderful and are actually preferred to the “store bought” items.


This is not me!!
Picture credit goes to makeupjournal.net
 Today I am once again thankful for Mama’s egg facials. Egg whites reduce the size of pores and puffiness and egg yolks are a great moisturizer. There are a lot of variations on this, some adding the ground egg shells to make a scrub. Others add honey or avocado depending on your skin's condition. But for now, we'll just do the basic.

So here’s what you do. You crack open a couple of eggs (don’t throw those shells away, they can be used for several things)

Separate the eggs from the yolks. Putting each in a separate bowl. I always have a small seal-able container, which we call Tupperware even if it isn’t, for the yokes.

Store the yolks in the Tupperware for use tomorrow. Cover them with water, do not stir, and refrigerate. They are good for about two days.  If you choose to store the egg whites, they are good for about five days when sealed in an airtight container.

When you are ready to wash your face fully whisk in a little water and either wash your face or use as a mask, letting it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes. That’s it. Alternate the cleansers. The next day whisk water with the yolk and repeat. 

Give it a try, I don’t think you will be disappointed. You might even love your skin when you are done.

Jennifer



 

No comments:

Post a Comment